Mills Memorial Baptist Church
History of the Mills Memorial Baptist Church
The history of the Mayville Free Baptist Chruch began with the settlemant of Rev. C.B. Mills in the Mayville area in 1856. He preached the first sermon April 21, 1856 in his own log cabin.
He succeeded in gathering enough people together to found the Fremont Free Baptist Church on April 4, 1857. He served as it's first pastor untill 1874, when he was elected Secretary and Treasurer of Hillsdale College where he remained until 1874.
When he returned in 1887 to the Mayville area, he helped reorganize the church in Mayville as it had dwindled to only a remnant. He remained as pastor until his death March 11, 1896.
The church building that was being built at the time of his death, was renamed in his memory, the Mills Memorial Baptist Church.
Since then, Mills Memorial has been faithfully serving our community, preaching the Gospel of Jesus Christ for the glory of God.
Interested in learning more?